Please include a cover letter in your application
Applied Molecular Transport (AMT) is a biopharmaceutical company with a transformative platform technology that enables the development of next generation biological therapeutics, with a particular focus on oral, site-specific targeting to the GI tract as well as to systemic circulation. The company’s core pipeline therapeutic area strategy is focused on Immunology & Inflammation and Metabolic Diseases.
This role is a unique opportunity in an energetic company that is based on exciting foundational scientific principles with the prospect of transforming the biological therapeutics landscape and thus, beneficially impacting the lives of millions of patients. The company’s management and founders collectively have decades of R&D, business, and leadership experience at organizations such as Amgen, Chiron, Onyx, ALZA, Five Prime, Second Genome, NGM and Genentech.
The successful candidate will join the downstream processes (DSP) purification group. In this role, protocols for protein purification and in-process analysis and characterization of intermediate purified proteins will be developed for heterologous fusion proteins from bacterial source. The development of purification processes will include protein solubilization, refolding, UFDF and protein separation by column chromatography using AKTA systems. A variety of protein separation techniques by column chromatography will be used with purification principals ranging from Ion exchange chromatography (IEC), hydrophobic interactions chromatography (HIC), mixed-mode chromatography, size-based purification such as size exclusion/gel filtration, and affinity purification strategies.
- Develop protein purification protocols using AKTA FPLC systems working with a variety of resins in scales ranging from 5 mL to 5.0 L columns, and a variety of buffers
- Develop Ultrafiltration/Diafiltration (UFDF) application suitable for scale-up and scale-down purifications
- Optimize depth filtration processes to enable feed stock clarification
- Perform in-process analytics utilizing techniques such SDS-PAGE, SEC-HPLC, Reverse phase chromatography, protein solutions spectroscopic and colorimetric measurments, as well as quantitative SEC-HPLC to determine protein concentration of various samples
- Provide technical and scientific support to AMT manufacturing facility by executing a wide range of tests, from adjusting buffer recipes and testing buffer reagents to full-scale DSP purification procecesses in a scale-down format
- Thorough understanding of protein purification concepts including the chemistry of a variety of preperative resins for protein chromatography
- Understanding the requirements of process scale-up
- Proficient in downstream purification using Unicorn system on AKTA systems
- Experience with preparative column packing ranging from 5 – 300 mL
- Familiarity with protein analytical techniques to perform assays such as SEC-HPLC, SDS-PAGE, Reverse Phase chromatography, spectroscopy, turbidity, and endotoxin levels measurments
- Experience in TFF (ultra-filtration, diafiltration) depth filtration and chromatography
- Experience in protein concentration measurement methods such spectroscopy (280 nM), colorimetric methods such as Bradford assay, and chromatography methods such as quantitative SEC-HPLC
- Experience in protein refolding from E. coli inclusion body is desirable
- Ability to work well with multidisciplinary teams
- Computer programs: Unicorn 7.0 and above, OpenLab, Chemstation, Chromeleon, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, SoftMax Pro, MS Word, and JMP.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in designing, and developing purification processes for proteins expressed in microbial hosts is a plus
- individual holding a BA/BS or Master degree with 2-4 years of hands-on experience in protein purification in a biotech or biopharmaceutical companies
- Hands on experience with AKTA FPLCs
- Experienced in summarizing projects in the form of written reports that are both concise and include the relevant and important details
- Strong desire to learn multiple new techniques and willingness to work as part of team
- Preenting the work in meetings
We invite qualified candidates to submit their CV to: email@example.com (note: ‘Please put job title in subject heading)
AMT is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, AMT does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets