This role is a unique opportunity in an energetic company that is based on exciting foundational scientific principles with the prospect of transforming the biological therapeutics landscape and thus, beneficially impacting the lives of millions of patients. The company’s management and founders collectively have decades of R&D, business, and leadership experience at organizations such as Amgen, Chiron, Onyx, ALZA, Five Prime, Second Genome, NGM and Genentech.
The successful candidate will join the downstream processes (DSP) purification group. In this role, protocols for protein purification and in-process analysis characterization of intermediate purified proteins will be developed for heterologous fusion proteins from bacterial source. The development of purification processes will include protein solubilization, refolding, UFDF and protein separation by column chromatography using AKTA systems. A variety of protein separation techniques by column chromatography will be used with purification principals ranging from Ion exchange chromatography (IEC), hydrophobic interactions chromatography (HIC), size-based purification such as size exclusion/gel filtration, and affinity purification strategies.
- Develop protein purification protocols using AKTA FPLC systems working with a variety of resins in scales ranging from 5 mL to 5 L columns, and a variety of buffers.
- Develop Ultrafiltration/Diafiltration (UFDF) application suitable for scale-up and scale-down purifications.
- Optimize depth filtration processes to enable feed stock clarification.
- Perform in-process analytics utilizing techniques such SDS-PAGE, SEC-HPLC, Reverse phase chromatography, protein solutions spectroscopic and colorimetric measurements, as well as quantitative SEC-HPLC to determine protein concentration of various samples.
- BA/BS or Master’s degree individual with 2-4 years of hands-on work protein purification experience in a biotech or pharma setting.
- PhD degree individual with or without industry experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in downstream purification using Unicorn system on AKTA systems.
- Experience with preparative column packing ranging from 5 – 300 mL.
- Familiarity with protein analytical techniques to perform assays such as HPLC, SDS-PAGE and endotoxin.
- Experience in TFF (ultra-filtration, diafiltration) depth filtration and chromatography.
- Experience in protein concentration methods such spectroscopy (280 nM), colorimetric methods such as Bradford assay, and chromatography methods such as quantitative SEC-HPLC.
- Some experience in protein refolding from E. coli inclusion body is a plus but not necessary.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Expertise in data analysis software: MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, MS Word and JMP.
We invite qualified candidates to submit their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org (note: ‘Please put job title in subject heading)